[Python-Dev] Fixing the GIL (with a BFS scheduler)

Florent Xicluna florent.xicluna at gmail.com
Mon May 17 20:30:27 CEST 2010

2010/5/16 Nir Aides <nir at winpdb.org>

> *What can be done with it?*
>
> Here are some options:
> 1) Abandon it - no one is interested, yawn.
>  2) Take ideas and workarounds from its code and apply to other patches.
> 3) Include it in the interpreter as an auxiliary (turn on with a runtime
> switch) scheduler.
> 4) Adopt it as the Python scheduler.
>

> *Opinion?*

I would like to have the possibility to "./configure --without-broken-GIL"
or "./configure --with-bfs-scheduler" in Python 2.7  like we "./configure
--with-computed-gotos" in 3.2.

It will let the opportunity for the experienced user (or the distribution
packager) to enable the threading optimizations on its platform, while it
preserves the current behaviour by default.

It will give more chance that people test this experimental configure option
and report any issue they find, so it can be fixed and improved in the next
bugfix version (2.7.1).
Since the 2.7 branch will have long term support, it makes sense to support
multi-core platforms.

And more users of the fixed GIL means more bugfixes (even for 3.x branch).

--
Florent