[Python-Dev] Fixing the GIL (with a BFS scheduler)

Mike Klaas mike.klaas at gmail.com
Wed May 19 02:26:44 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> There's no chance for this since the patch relies on the new GIL.
> (that's unless there's a rush to backport the new GIL in 2.7, of course)

Thanks I missed that detail.

> I think your "rare long delays" might be related to the old GIL's own
> problems, though. How long are they?

Typically between 20 and 60s.  This is the time it takes to send and
receive a single small packet on an already-active tcp connection to
ensure it is still alive.   Most of the time it is < 1ms.  I don't
have strong evidence that GIL issues are causing the problem, because
I can't reliably reproduce the issue.  But the general setup is
similar (one thread doing light io experiencing odd delays in a
process with multiple threads that are often cpu-bound, on a
multi-core machine)

thanks,
-Mike