[Python-Dev] Fixing the GIL (with a BFS scheduler)

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed May 19 02:43:15 CEST 2010

On Tue, 18 May 2010 17:26:44 -0700
Mike Klaas <mike.klaas at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think your "rare long delays" might be related to the old GIL's own
> > problems, though. How long are they?
>
> Typically between 20 and 60s.

You mean milliseconds I suppose?
If it's the case, then you may simply be witnessing garbage collection
runs. I've measured garbage collection runs of about 50 ms each on a
Web application, with the full framework loaded and a bunch of objects
in memory.

If you really meant seconds, it looks a bit too high to be GIL-related.
What kind of things are the CPU threads doing?

Regards

Antoine.