[Python-Dev] PEP 3148 ready for pronouncement

Dj Gilcrease digitalxero at gmail.com
Fri May 21 21:30:13 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Brian Quinlan <brian at sweetapp.com> wrote:
> Except that now isn't the time for that discussion. This PEP has discussed
> on-and-off for several months on both stdlib-sig and python-dev.

I think any time till the PEP is accepted is a good time to discuss
changes to the API

Issues with the PEP:
1) Examples as written fail on windows. Patch to fix @
http://code.google.com/p/pythonfutures/issues/detail?id=5

Issues with Implementation:
1) Globals are used for tracking running threads (but not processes)
and shutdown state, but are not accessed as a globals every where they
are modified so it could be inconsistent.

2) The atexit handle randomly throws an exception on exit on windows
when running the tests or examples.

Error in atexit._run_exitfuncs:
TypeError: print_exception(): Exception expected for value, str found

Issues 1 & 2 would be solved by moving thread tracking back into the
executor responsible for the threads, or making a singleton that
tracked threads / processes for all executors.
http://code.google.com/p/pythonfutures/issues/detail?id=6 is one such
implementation