[Python-Dev] Ask a question for a script about re.findall Modlue

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat May 22 02:09:37 CEST 2010

You shouldn't be asking questions about using Python on python-dev -- this
list is for development of Python.

Your problem is easily explained however: the second argument to p.findall()
should be an offset, not a flag set. (You are confusing re.findall() and
p.findall().)

--Guido

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Lu, Hongchao (UI Health Care) <
luhon at healthcare.uiowa.edu> wrote:

>  Hi All,
>
>      I am working on a script to use re.findall,
>
> But the result seems wield.

> import re
>
> p=re.compile("\S+",re.M)
>
> pirfile="""
>
> >DL;mm9|
>
> >DL;petMar1|
>
> >DL;cavPor3|
>
> >DL;mm9|:
>
> """
>
> for m in p.findall(pirfile,re.M):
>
>         print m
>
> Results:
>

> >DL;petMar1|
>
> >DL;cavPor3|
>
> >DL;mm9|
>
> The first result is missing some characters, Could you explain why? Any
> wrong with the script?
>
> I tried Python2.4/2.6/2.7, the result is same.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Hongchao Lu

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)