[Python-Dev] PEP 3148 ready for pronouncement

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Sun May 23 13:02:48 CEST 2010

On May 23, 2010, at 8:43 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 12:15, Brian Quinlan <brian at sweetapp.com>
> wrote:
>> I doubt it. Simple modules are unlikely to develop a following
>> because it is
>> too easy to partially replicate their functionality. urlparse and
>> os.path
>> are very useful modules but I doubt that they would have been
>> successful on
>> PyPI.
>
> simplejson was also fairly simple, but still developed a following.

The API is simple but writing a JSON parser is hard enough that people
will check to see if someone has already done the work for them
(especially since JSON is fairly topical).

If you are familiar with threads then writing a "good enough" solution
without futures probably won't take you very long. Also, unless you
are familiar with another futures implementation, you aren't likely to
know where to look.

>> The good news in this case is that the same API has been used
>> successfully
>> in Java and C++ for years so it is unlikely that any major changes
>> will need
>> to be made.
>
> I would agree that having prior versions in other languages should
> make the API more stable, but I wouldn't agree that it doesn't need
> changes (and even minor changes can be a PITA in the stdlib).

Some changes are hard (i.e. changing the semantics of existing method)
but some are pretty easy (i.e. adding new methods).

Cheers,
Brian