[Python-Dev] PEP 3148 ready for pronouncement

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun May 23 21:01:59 CEST 2010

On 5/22/2010 8:06 PM, Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:
> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Brian Quinlan<brian at sweetapp.com>  wrote:
>> Rename "executor" =>  "executer"
>
> -1 for consistency with Java.

-10 for 'executer'. As far as I can find out, it is a misspelling of
'executor'. If the designers of some other language made a stupid
mistake, let them correct it instead of us following them over a cliff.

Unlike this one, the other name suggestions look at least plausible and
worth a couple of minutes of consideration.

As for the module itself, part of the justification to me for accepting
it would be if it is part of a larger plan, even if currently vague, to
refactor and improve Python's support for concurrent execution, as
implied by the name 'concurrent.futures'. If Jesse accepts it, I would
take it as some kind of commitment to help with at least one other
concurrent.x module so this one is not an orphan. While concurrent
execution does not *currently* affect me, I am convinced that better
support will be important for Python's future.

Terry Jan Reedy