[Python-Dev] urllib2/urllib incompatibility?

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Mon May 24 11:37:16 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 08:49:56AM +0000, Vinay Sajip wrote:
> I encountered what seems like an incompatibility between urllib and urllib2 in
> the way they handle file:// URLs, is this a bug? I had a look on the bug tracker

The actual (and Valid) file:// url in your case is 'file:///tmp/hello.txt'
And this was fine and consistent.

>>> s = 'file:///tmp/hello.txt'
>>> import urllib2
>>> import urllib
>>> o1 = urllib.urlopen(s)
>>> o2 = urllib2.urlopen(s)

The extra '/' is making it in invalid url in urllib2, I think that be
tracked as bug at least to show a consistent behaviour.  The local
file open methods of urllib2 and urllib are different.

--
Senthil

You may my glories and my state dispose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Richard II"