[Python-Dev] PEP 3148 ready for pronouncement

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Thu May 27 04:29:18 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Yaniv Aknin <yaniv at aknin.name> wrote:
>> Well... a middle ground certainly could exist; perhaps in the form of an
>> "Extended Standard Library" (community distribution), with simple
>> installation and management tools.

I'm not sure about the 'installation and management tools' part, but this
is basically the idea I was trying to articulate: a middle ground between
a 'fat' stdlib and a 'lean' one.

>> It could be "blessed" by python-dev and maintain a high standard (only
>> well established best-of-breed modules with a commitment of ongoing
>> maintenance and more than one maintainer - something that the stdlib itself
>> doesn't stick to). A common license could even be chosen, potentially
>> allowing corporations to approve the extended package in a single pass.

If we could do it that would be great, IMHO.

> I read the 'sumo' thread before I read this (and replied in depth there),
> but I think Michael and I mean similar things.
>  - Yaniv

I don't think I'm understanding you correctly in that thread then, ISTM
that you're advocating better packaging systems as an alternative to
this. Would you mind clarifying?

Geremy Condra