[Python-Dev] Bugfix releases should not change APIs

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon May 31 01:22:11 CEST 2010

On 5/29/2010 6:39 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> It is not the product of oversight.

I am actually glad, in a sense, that it was not casual whim. ;-)
I do not like the change, since it moves streams back further away from
Python's sequence model, but I withdraw the request for reversion in 3.1.3.

I will add further comments on the docs to the issue.

> What it does teach us is that Python 3.1 sees some real use,

It is an odd 'coincidence' that the method changed was one of the only
two stdlib methods I have used so far used directly. But with enough
users, such happens.

What it teaches *me* is that before I install another release, I should,
as planned, automate the running of all module tests together so I can
easily test everything before and after a new installation.

When I do release sample chapters and code, I will try to remember to
specify the version and platform I tested with.

> we have entered a phase where backwards compatibility will become as
> important as it was in the 2.x line.

I have assumed that there might be a few stdlib API tweeks in 3.2 -- and
that they would be well announced.

Terry Jan Reedy