[Python-Dev] On breaking modules into packages Was: [issue10199] Move Demo/turtle under Lib/

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 00:32:09 CET 2010

On Nov 2, 2010, at 4:00 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>> Are we permanently locked into the exact ten filenames
>> that are currently used:  utils, suite, loader, case, result, main, signals,
>> etc?
>> Is the file structure now frozen?
>
> Somewhat, yes.

That's a bummer.

Sounds like a decision to split a module into a package is a big commitment.  Each of the individual file names becomes a permanent part of the API.  Even future additional splits are precluded because it might break someones dotted import (i.e. not a single function can be moved between those files -- once in unittest.utils, alway in unittest.utils).

Raymond