[Python-Dev] Python-3 transition in Arch Linux

Matthias Klose doko at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 4 22:08:07 CET 2010

On 04.11.2010 21:12, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>> To clarify (but I dont speak for the rest of #python, just myself), I
>> think the move was premature, but I don't use Arch and I don't know what
>> typical Arch users expect. The reason I think it's premature is that
>> 'python2' just doesn't work everywhere, and I would have gone for a
>> transitionary period where '/usr/bin/python' is something that screams
>> loudly that it shouldn't be used before it executes 'python2'.

Iirc, it was an explicit decision made at the 2009 language summit not to
introduce a python2 symlink, but using python3 for python3.x instead.
Debian/Ubuntu don't ship a python2 symlink by intent.

Did the plans change, i.e. are there plans to provide a python symlink for
python 3.x altinstall in a future release, e.g in 3.4 or 3.5?

   Matthias