[Python-Dev] Python-3 transition in Arch Linux

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Nov 6 14:41:08 CET 2010

> But the previous consensus (at least, as I, and presumably many other
> people understood it) was that python2 would remain the owner of the
> name "/usr/bin/python" for the indefinite future, and python3 would
> be invoked with /usr/bin/python3.

Can you cite references for that (not that other people agree, but that
this was consensus)? I couldn't find any summary report of the 2009
language summit, and, despite having been present there, I don't recall
that aspect even being discussed.

Instead, I recall that a decision was made (and I'm not sure whether
with consensus or not) that "make install" would install
/usr/bin/python3, for the time being. Period.

So I don't recall a decision that there shouldn't be a python2
binary, nor a decision that anything is done indefinitely
(it may be that the decision was actually just about 3.1 - changing
it again for 3.2 would require another decision, but certainly can't
be ruled out categorically).

Regards,
Martin