[Python-Dev] "Too many open files" errors on "x86 FreeBSD 7.2 3.x" buildbot

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Sat Nov 6 15:46:57 CET 2010

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 12:31:39 +0100, Martin wrote:
> Am 06.11.2010 12:19, schrieb Victor Stinner:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I noticed "OSError: [Errno 23] Too many open files in system" errors on your
> > FreeBSD buildbot. I would like to know if you configured a limit on the open
> > files or maybe of child processes on this buildbot or not, or if it is a
> > failure in Python?
>
> Before David responds: feel free to put temporarily a "limits -a"
> command into the build process, or some such.

You might also want to check the value of sysctl kern.maxfiles.  On the
FreeBSD (6.3) systems to which I have access the default value for
kern.maxfiles appears to be 12328, but that information is of limited
utility since its value is set based on kern.maxusers, which in
turn is set at boot time based primarily on the available system memory
(see: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/configtuning-kernel-limits.html)
The systems I got the above number from have 1GB of memory.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com