[Python-Dev] Snakebite, buildbot and low hanging fruit -- feedback wanted! (Was Re: SSH access against buildbot boxes)

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Nov 7 17:25:18 CET 2010

On 11:24 am, trent at snakebite.org wrote:

>2.  Address the second problem of the buildbot web interface sucking
>for non-standard branches.  I'm thinking along the lines of a hack to
>buildbot, such that upon creation of new per-activity branches off a
>mainline, something magically runs in the background and sets up a
>complete buildbot view at python.snakebite.org/dev/buildbot/<your-
>branch-name>, just as if you were looking at a trunk buildbot page.

This is basically trivial.  I gave #python-dev a tool for forcing
builds, dunno if anyone still has a copy, but it's easy to reconstruct
from <http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/sandbox/exarkun/force-
builds.py> (which is what the Twisted project uses).  Plus, you can add
?branch=<name> to most BuildBot views to limit display of results to
just builds for the named branch.
>Titus, for example, alluded to some nifty way for a committer to push
>his local hg branch/changes somewhere, such that it would kick off
>builds on multiple platforms in the same sorta' vein as point 2, but
>able to leverage cloud resources like Amazon's EC2, not just Snakebite
>hardware.

BuildBot supports managing EC2 instance lifetimes to run builds.

Jean-Paul