[Python-Dev] "Too many open files" errors on "x86 FreeBSD 7.2 3.x" buildbot

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Tue Nov 9 02:57:00 CET 2010

On Monday 08 November 2010 13:23:33 Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
> >The POSIX semaphore support is not enabled by default in FreeBSD 7, so
> >I added loader.conf stuff to load them (as part of issue7272).
>
> It is enabled by default on FreeBSD 8 at least.

Ok, but I suppose that many users use older versions.

> PostgreSQL installations via ports as well as its documentation instruct
> the FreeBSD user to tweak kern.ipc settings.

I found some informations about SysV semaphores on FreeBSD in a Firebird
patch, which means that Firebird uses SysV semaphores on FreeBSD :-) (at least
in Debian/kFreeBSD).

> Almost every FreeBSD user I know of compiles a new kernel. It's just one of
> those BSD things that every user goes through.

If #10348 is implemented, FreeBSD users will be able to use the
multiprocessing module without having to recompile their kernel. The question
is more who would like to implement SysV semaphores in Python :-) I don't know
anything about these semaphores.

http://bugs.python.org/issue10348

Victor