[Python-Dev] GUI test runner tool

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Nov 9 11:59:30 CET 2010

On 08/11/2010 19:00, Brett Cannon wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 04:09, Michael Foord<michael at voidspace.org.uk>  wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Now that unittest has test discovery, Mark Roddy has been working on
>> resurrecting the old GUI test runner (using Tkinter):
>>
>> https://bitbucket.org/markroddy/unittestgui
>>
>> This was part of the original pyunit project but I believe it was never part
>> of the standard library:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyunit/
>>
>> Here's a screenshot of what it looks like:
>>
>> http://skitch.com/fuzzyman/dhu9r/pyunit
>>
>> I'd like to propose adding it to Python in Tools/ and am volunteering to
>> maintain it.
> Does that mean upgrading it as well? =)

Yes...

>   For instance it would be great
> to get it to use ttk so it looks a bit sharper,

I've never used Ttk. Patches welcomed...

> supports skipped tests
> and expected failures,

It already does, the screenshot is a bit old. :-)

>   and dream-of-dreams ties into regrtest so you
> can just check boxes instead of passing a ton of CLI flags.

That would be great, but regrtest is a bit custom. It's a great idea,
but would need a different UI shell.

>> If the answer is "not yet" that is fine as it can go into
>> unittest2 first. Mark has updated it to work with test discovery and added
>> support for configuring test discovery in the same way as you can from the
>> command line. It is a nice tool for those new to writing tests who aren't
>> yet familiar with the command line or prefer a GUI.
> I personally have no problem with it going into tools as long as it
> can also be used to run the tests in the stdlib.

Unfortunately the stdlib tests largely aren't compatible with test
discovery. There is an open issue about that. Many of the tests depend
on being run with regrtest, and use features that are in many places now
obsolete due to improvements in unittest. No-one has yet done the work
to switch them over. It is 'on my list' though.

All the best,

Michael Foord