[Python-Dev] Removal of Win32 ANSI API

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Nov 11 20:44:52 CET 2010

> How do you support cross-platform code using bytes filenames?
> IIRC, it has already been argued that it was an important feature. Many
> filesystem-related utilities might prefer to handle filenames in bytes
> form.

It would be a policy decision. However, I think it is hear-say that
filesystem-related utilities might prefer byte file names. On Windows,
some files are inaccessible if you constrain yourself to byte filenames,
so once people learn about this limitation, I expect them to switch to
Unicode filenames on Windows - for the same reason they use byte
filenames on Unix (i.e. to be able to access all files correctly).

Regards,
Martin