[Python-Dev] Issues 9931 and 9055 - test_ttk_guionly and buildbot run as a service

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 18:31:19 CET 2010

On 12 November 2010 17:07, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 11/12/2010 3:44 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> My buildbot has been failing for some time because of these 2 issues,
>> both related to the fact that tests are hanging when run as a service
>> (and hence have no display to open GUI elements on). Both issues have
>> patches, and as far as I am aware, the patches fix the issues
>> reasonably well. What can I do to move these 2 issues forwards? As
>> things stand, my buildbot is not providing a lot of value on the 3.x
>> branch :-(
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue9055
> is marked as a 2.7 issue only, perhaps fixed by Tim Golden's committed
> patches. Should it be re-versioned for 3.1/2? There is no patch file
> attached, though perhaps the code in Yamamoto's message is meant as such
> (but for which version?). So the first thing you could do is clarify the
> current status and remaining issue on the tracker.

Ah, sorry. I misremembered the history - you are right, I suspect this
is fixed (at least to the extent that my buildbot isn't permanently
red :-))

On rereading, I get the impression that a cleaner fix may be possible
by using the ideas in the patch for 9931, but that's probably for
another time.

> http://bugs.python.org/issue9931
> by Yamamoto is marked for all 3 versions. It seems to be a similar issue,
> though marked 'test' rather than 'ctypes'. It does have a patch by him
> apparently based on his previous comments. The issue has no responses and
> needs a patch review. So the first thing you could do is to provide one;-).
> If it looks great (no changes that you can think of) and works great, say
> so. Then it can move on to commit review stage.

OK, thanks. I'll see if I can provide a review, and see how it goes from there.

Really, it's not that urgent that this gets fixed in the wider scheme
of things - but as my buildbot is a bit useless while the problem
remains, I'm motivated to do what I can to work on it. I'm just a
little limited in what I can do, hence the request for suggestions.

> PS. Providing links like the above makes it easier for multiple people to
> take a look and respond.

You're right, and I apologise for that. I sent the email in a hurry
and didn't consider others before sending.

Paul