[Python-Dev] Breaking undocumented API

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Nov 16 18:30:49 CET 2010

On 05:21 pm, fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk wrote:
>On 16/11/2010 17:16, 1ukasz Langa wrote:
>>Am 16.11.2010 18:06, schrieb Antoine Pitrou:
>>>You mean an ordered dictionary, right?
>>
>>He meant the ones with actual paper pages.
>
>But given that we are particularly talking about how to handle
>undocumented APIs, a more apropos comparison would be to ask how
>dictionary readers are supposed to look up words that aren't in the
>dictionary...

No, this isn't an appropriate comparison.  The dictionary was an example
of something that presents information but is very hard to use without
knowing the rules.

We're not talking about undocumented APIs.  We're talking about APIs
that are documented somewhere other than in the library manual.

Jean-Paul