[Python-Dev] constant/enum type in stdlib

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Wed Nov 24 03:58:47 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Raymond Hettinger
<raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> The least worst option is to do nothing at all.

For the standard library, I agree.

There are enough variants that are needed/desired in different
contexts, and there isn't a single clear winner.  Nor is there any
compelling reason to have a winner.

I'm generally in favor of enums (or whatever you want to call them),
and I'm in favor of importing support for the flavor you need, or just
defining constants in whatever way makes sense for your library or
application.

I don't see any problems that aren't solved by that.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fdrake at acm.org>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein