[Python-Dev] Python and the Unicode Character Database

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Nov 29 01:55:33 CET 2010

Alexander Belopolsky <alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> > Perhaps int(), float(), Decimal() and friends could take an optional
> > parameter indicating whether non-ascii digits are considered. It
> > would then satisfy all parties.
>
> What parties? I don't think anyone has claimed to actually have used
> non-ASCII digits with float().

Rather, it has been pointed out that there is an unknown amount of
existing code which does that. You're not going to know how much or how
little from this forum.

> Of course it is fun that Python can process Bengali numerals, but so
> would be allowing Roman numerals. There is a reason why after careful
> consideration, PEP 313 was ultimately rejected.

Rejecting a proposed *new* capability is a different matter from
disabling an *existing* capability which works in existing Python
releases.

--
 \       “Following fashion and the status quo is easy. Thinking about |
  `\        your users' lives and creating something practical is much |