[Python-Dev] Python and the Unicode Character Database

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 04:58:05 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> I agree that Python should make it easy for the programmer to get
> numerical values of native numeric strings, but it's not at all clear
> to me that there is any point to having float() recognize them by
> default.

Indeed, as someone else suggested earlier in the thread, supporting
non-ASCII digits sounds more like a job for the locale module than for
the builtin types.

Deprecating non-ASCII support in the latter, while ensuring it is
properly supported in the former sounds like a better way forward than
maintaining the status quo (starting in 3.3 though, with the first
beta just around the corner, we don't want to be monkeying with this
in 3.2)

Cheers,
Nick.