[Python-Dev] Python and the Unicode Character Database

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Nov 29 19:33:02 CET 2010

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 08:22:46 +0100
"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > The former ensures that literals in code are always readable; the later
> > allows users to enter numbers in their own number system. How could that
> > be a bad thing?
>
> It's YAGNI, feature bloat. It gives the illusion of supporting something
> that actually isn't supported very well (namely, parsing local number
> strings). I claim that there is no meaningful application
> of this feature.

Still, if it's not detrimental and it it's not difficult to support,
then why do you care? You aren't even maintaining that part of the code.

I don't think "remove feature bloat" is part of our development goals
or practices. Given the diversity of our user base, such removal should
be done carefully and only for serious reasons.

Regards

Antoine.