[Python-Dev] Python and the Unicode Character Database

haiyang kang cornsea at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 15:56:33 CET 2010

> But you should be able to write:
>
> text = input("Enter a number using your preferred digits: ")
> num = float(text)
>
> without caring whether the user enters 一.一 or 1.1 or something else.

yes. from logical point of view, this can happen.

But i really doubt that if really there are users who would like to
input number like that,
means that they first use google pinyin method to input 一, then change
to english input method to input . , then change to google pinyin
again for the other 一;
 or maybe you mean they input the whole  一.一 words with google pinyin
input method.

To input 1, users only need to type one time keyboard, but to input 一,
they need to type three times (yi SPACE).

Of course, users can also input something accidentally, but we just
need to give them some kind reminders.

At least coders in my around will restrain their system users to input
numbers with ASCII,
and seems that users are still happy with the ASCII type numbers :).

br,
khy