[Python-Dev] PEP 291 versus Python 3

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Nov 30 16:35:31 CET 2010

On Nov 30, 2010, at 01:09 PM, Michael Foord wrote:

>PEP 291 is very old and should probably be retired. I don't think anyone is
>maintaining standard libraries in py3k that are also compatible with Python
>2.anything. (At least not in a single codebase.)

I agree.  I think we should change the status of PEP 291 to Final, and add a
few words to make it clear it applies only to Python 2.  Since Neal owns the
PEP, he should get first crack at doing the update, but I volunteer to make
those changes if he declines (or does not respond).

We may eventually need a similar document for Python 3, but it should be a new
PEP.

-Barry