[Python-Dev] Python and the Unicode Character Database

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Nov 30 21:24:08 CET 2010

haiyang kang <cornsea at gmail.com> writes:

>   I think it is a little ugly to have code like this: num =
> float("一.一"), expected result is: num = 1.1

That's a straw man, though. The string need not be a literal in the
program; it can be input to the program.

    num = float(input_from_the_external_world)

Does that change your assessment of whether non-ASCII digits are used?

--
 \        “The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the |
  `\       hijacking of morality by religion.” —Arthur C. Clarke, 1991 |