[Python-Dev] Branching without losing your build products [was: We should be using a tool for code reviews]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Oct 1 06:09:24 CEST 2010

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > I should note that I don't particularly like colocated/named branches.  I
 > personally much prefer separate directories for each feature or bug I'm
 > working on.  It helps me keep track of what I'm doing.  I have a fast machine
 > so recompiling all of Python is no big deal.

Note that once you have a branch with all of Python built, for any of
hg, git, bzr you may prefer to clone the branch/repo with "cp -r" or
"rsync" rather than "$VCS clone".  The reason for doing it with "$VCS
clone" is to get a pristine workspace without any cruft like editor
backups or build products.  If you *want* a crufty workspace (and in
this case some people do), a recursive copy is a better tool.