[Python-Dev] issue 9807 - a glitch in coexisting builds of different types

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Oct 2 02:24:18 CEST 2010

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 20:06:57 -0400
Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> With my branch, you'll end up with this in /tmp/python:
>
>     bin/python3.2m   - the normal build binary
>     bin/python3.2dmu - the wide+pydebug build binary
>     bin/python3.2m-config
>     bin/python3.2dmu-config

Do users really want to see such idiosyncratic suffixes?

>     lib/libpython3.2.so.1.0.m
>     lib/libpython3.2.so.1.0.dmum

Ditto here. This seems to break well-known conventions.
If I look at /usr/lib{,64} on my machine, I can't see a single
shared libary file that ends neither in ".so" nor ".so.<some digits>".

Before trying to find a solution to your problem, I think it would be
nice to get a consensus that this is really a desired feature.

Regards

Antoine.