[Python-Dev] Inconsistencies if locale and filesystem encodings are different

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Oct 7 18:35:09 CEST 2010

Victor Stinner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A PYTHONFSENCODING environment variable was added to Python 3.2: issue #8622.
> This variable introduces an inconstency because the filesystem and the locale
> encodings can now be different.
>
> There are (at least) four issues related to this problem. We have 2 choices to
> fix these issues:
>
>  (a) use the same encoding to encode and decode values (it can be different
> for each issue)
>
>  (b) remove PYTHONFSENCODING variable and raise an error if locale and
> filesystem encodings are different (ensure that both encodings are the same)
>
> Even if choice (a) is not easy to implement, it is feasible and I already
> wrote some patches.
>
> I don't understand how Python interact with other programs who ignore the
> PYTHONFSENCODING environment variable. It's like Python uses its own "locale".
>
> Choice (b) looks easy to implement, but... there is the problem of Mac OS X.
> Mac OS X uses utf-8 encoding for the filesystem (and not the locale encoding),
> whereas it looks like the locale encoding is used for the command line
> arguments. See issue #4388 for more information.
>
> There is also maybe an useful usecase of the PYTHONFSENCODING, but I don't
> remember which one :-)

You have to differentiate between the meaning of a file system
encoding and the locale:

A file system encoding defines how the applications interact
with the file system.

A locale defines how the user expects to interact with the
application.

It is well possible that the two are different. Mac OS X is
just one example. Another common example is having a Unix
account using the C locale (=ASCII) while working on a UTF-8
file system.

BTW: We added that because just like I/O encoding, you need to be
able to override the setting determined by Python via locale
introspection, which may be wrong. The env var is only meant
as a way to solve encoding problems in special situations where
the local cannot be used to determine the file system or
input/output encoding.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 07 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/