[Python-Dev] Distutils2 scripts

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Fri Oct 8 14:02:19 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 7:24 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> wrote:
> It doesn't seem very nice to have a version in the script. Can we just
> call it distutils? Or py-dist?

If we go this route, then

- "make altinstall" should include the version number in the name of *any*
  scripts it installs.

- "make install" would then add links without the version numbers.

This mirrors the name of the Python executable, so is likely as "right" as
it's going to get (*if* we install separate scripts).

Georg:
> What happened to "python setup.py action"?  Or is this a step towards
> not requiring setup.py at all?

I'm in favor of add a top-level setup module that can be invoked using
"python -m setup ...".  There will be three cases:

- d2 projects without a setup.py, where this will invoke the module from
  the standard library,

- d2 projects with a setup.py, where the local setup.py will be invoked,
  and

- d1 projects, which always have a setup.py, which will be invoked.

This would provide the most consistent story for package users, where the
only command they'll need to remember (for Python versions with the setup
module) will be

    python -m setup ...

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fdrake at acm.org>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein