[Python-Dev] Distutils2 scripts

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Oct 8 17:03:28 CEST 2010

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 10:26:36 -0400
Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> >- query pypi
> >- browse what's installed
> >- install/remove projects
> >- create releases and upload them
> >
> >pkg_manager ?
>
> No underscores, please. :)
>
> Actually, a decent wrapper script could just be called 'setup'.  My
> command-not-found on Ubuntu doesn't find a collision, or even close
> similarities.

pysetup perhaps? I think "setup" is such a generic name that being a
Python-specific tool sounds wrong. I also had that reaction towards
easy_install at the beginning.

> I still like 'egg' as a command too.  There are no collisions that I can see.
> I know this has been thrown around for years, and it's always been rejected
> because I think setuptools wanted to claim it, but since it still doesn't
> exist afaict, distutils2 could easily use it.

'egg' is already the name of a file format, so re-using that name for
something more general would be confusing.
What would you think if 'tar' allowed you to resize JPEGs? :)