[Python-Dev] Patch making the current email package (mostly) support bytes

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Oct 8 19:39:55 CEST 2010

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 23:55:37 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> I should think you *want* addresses and suchlike structured headers
> (Content-Type with several RFC 2231 parameters, anyone?) to line up
> nicely, too.  So generic folding algorithms are really only applicable
> to unstructured text fields like Subject and Summary anyway.
>
> You can call that "sucky" if you like, I prefer to call it "tasteful."

No, what's sucky is that email4/5 doesn't support that.  It only folds
headers as unstructured blobs, with a nod in the direction of structure
by breaking lines at "obvious" places like ';'s.  (Which line breaking
algorithm is the subject of at least one bug report....)

I'd like to fix that in email6 by adding full support for structured
headers.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com