[Python-Dev] Build failure in test_cmd_line on OSX-x86

Stephen Hansen me+python at ixokai.io
Fri Oct 8 21:27:37 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Stephen Hansen
<me+python at ixokai.io<me%2Bpython at ixokai.io>
> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 10:02:59 -0700
>> Stephen Hansen <me+python at ixokai.io <me%2Bpython at ixokai.io>> wrote:
>> >
>> > And long story short, it gets to 201 and runs test_cmd_line in the same
>> > order as the buildbot did, and it succeeds too, and I curse the gods of
>> the
>> > netherworld, and am stumped with how to proceed. Two separate buildbot
>> runs
>> > and this same failure happened, yet for me, no. Or I'm doing something
>> > differently then the buildbot is, and I can't see what.
>>
>> The buildbot user probably has different locale settings. I can
>> simulate the failure with:
>>

> I'd find that very surprising: the buildslave is running as the same user I
> am running the test under, and the LANG is en_US.UTF-8 -- the default.
> Granted, the slave's running under launchd, and so is launching twisted with
> the tac directly -- but I can't see any part of that process which would
> cause the default LANG to change.

I edited the launchd config to force LANG = "en_US.UTF-8" and the test
suddenly passes, which is good. I have no idea why the LANG would end up
different when the app is launched from launchd -- even though it was
running as the same user as I was doing the testing against -- but,
apparently, it was.

But, issue4388 and issue9992 seem to already be in, and I commented on them.

Thanks for the help in figuring this out. :)

--Stephen/Ixokai