[Python-Dev] [Python-ideas] minmax() function returning (minimum, maximum) tuple of a sequence

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Oct 10 22:09:48 CEST 2010

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 13:57:21 -0500
"Paul McGuire" <ptmcg at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Any comments? Interest? Should I write up a PEP? Go back to my pyparsing
> hole?

Generally, these things are discussed on python-ideas first.  I don't
think a PEP required for a single function, but you'll have to convince
people that it's useful ;)

Personnally, I'm not convinced that a maximum 25% improvement on a
rather uncommon use case (min() and max() on a sequence of objects
which take a long time to compare) is a compelling argument for a
builtin.  On the other hand, it would be a rather simple and intuitive
builtin, so why not?

Regards

Antoine.