[Python-Dev] It is always loo late (Was: Relative imports in Py3k)

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 15:55:03 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 2:22 AM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:

>> I don't see why such awkward way should be necessary in Python 3k,
>> which breaks backwards compatibility. Why it can't "just work" for my
>> user story?
>
> Because you weren't around advocating and implementing a change when
> Python 3 was developed?

I will never have the time to advocate the changes for products I
don't use (do you?), and I still don't use Python 3 - I am just
looking forward to it.

Is there a public list of annoyances for Python 3 that I can check to
see if my change is already scheduled for Python 4 and vote for it?

> It's too late now to arbitrarily break backward compatibility, so you'll
> have to advocate and develop any change inside the parameters of Python's
> normal backward compatibility policy.

I use Python a lot and I still can't change anything I dislike,
because it is always too late.

> In other words, you should move this discussion to python-ideas.

It is more about the development process than Python itself. Should I
move to ideas? It is yet another ML I am not subscribed.

--
anatoly t.