[Python-Dev] Stable build slaves authority

Stephen Hansen me+python at ixokai.io
Thu Oct 14 08:00:05 CEST 2010

On 10/13/10 10:28 PM, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
> -On [20101014 00:55], Brian Curtin (brian.curtin at gmail.com) wrote:
>> Correct. There are a few hacky ways to get Express to use the x64 SDK, or so I
>> read.
>
> I think Martin meant that you wouldn't need VS Express if you install the
> Windows SDK, since it provides all the tools in the SDK to build Python.

There's mixed signals here, and I'm not sure what they all mean. I have
a Win7-64bit box that I am willing to use to run a buildslave, if its
possible to do so.

#python-dev thought that VS express was all that was needed; then here,
it seemed to me that Martin said that you needed the full version of VS
or perhaps a complex setup with the SDK compiler; but you seem to be
interpreting Martin that the SDK provides everything and nothing else is
needed.

Then again on top of that, my offer may be mooted-- if Brian Curtin is
going to host a x86_64 windows slave then I don't need to worry about
this because its being provided otherwise.

I'm willing to put up with the particular windows-specific difficulties
that go with running a buildslave (especially with David Bolen's AutoIt
scripts which may ease things): but I'm not entirely sure from these
varied results if its even possible or needed.

So, my questions are:
  1. Is someone else (Hi, Brian) providing a 64-bit windows slave, so
there isn't actually any need for me to go through the effort of it?
  2. If not, is all that's needed is the SDK to build 64-bit Python?
  3. Or, does one have to use a combination of VS-Express + the SDK in a
"hack"y way (as some seem to claim, but this last mail seems to indicate
otherwise) to get it done?

Basically, it comes down to: 'it' being a 64-bit windows slave, is it
actually needed from me (i.e., is a more apt expert not providing it),
and can anyone actually say what the requirements are for making it
happen? At the moment I'm uncertain if its even needed or worthwhile to
go through the effort to get the whole visual studio environment set up.

I have computing resources, cycles, and time that's free to offer up:
but the differing responses here makes me unsure if I'm being useful or
not in trying here :)

--

   Stephen Hansen
   ... Also: Ixokai