[Python-Dev] Support for async read/write

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Oct 19 19:47:39 CEST 2010

On 04:50 pm, jcea at jcea.es wrote:
>Current Python lacks support for "aio_*" syscalls to do async IO. I
>think this could be a nice addition for python 3.3.

Adding more platform wrappers is always nice.  Keep in mind that the
quality of most (all?) aio_* implementations is spotty at best, though.
On Linux, they will sometimes block (for example, if you fail to align
buffers properly, or open a file without O_DIRECT, or if there are too
many other aio operations active on the system at the time, etc).  Thus,
these APIs are finicky at best, and the Python bindings will be
similarly fragile.

>If you agree, I will create an issue in the tracker. If you think the
>idea is of no value, please say so for me to move on.

Do you have an application in mind?
>Maybe an 3th party
>module, but I think this functionality sould be available in core

Starting off as a 3rd party library to try to develop some interest and
users (and thus experience) before adding it to the standard library
might make sense (as it frequently does).