[Python-Dev] Support for async read/write

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Oct 20 00:39:21 CEST 2010

Am 19.10.2010 19:47, schrieb exarkun at twistedmatrix.com:
> On 04:50 pm, jcea at jcea.es wrote:
>>
>> Current Python lacks support for "aio_*" syscalls to do async IO. I
>> think this could be a nice addition for python 3.3.
>
> Adding more platform wrappers is always nice.

Exactly so. Exposing platform APIs as-is really doesn't need much
discussion, except when the platform wrapper is going to deviate
significantly from the platform API. There is a long tradition of
exposing even obscure unixish APIs in Python, making it the #1 language
to write exotic scripts in. We definitely want to continue this
tradition.

Please refrain from trying to come up with "abstractions", though;
this should be outside of Python for the moment. Covering both Unix
AIO and Windows completion ports (say) may be quite a challenge
(but then, JP may have some view on this).

Regards,
Martin