[Python-Dev] Support for async read/write

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Wed Oct 20 02:09:29 CEST 2010

On Oct 19, 2010, at 6:44 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> So, in conclusion, I disagree that adding wrappers for these would be
>> nice. It wouldn't. It would cause some people to think they would be
>> useful things to call, and they would always be wrong.
>
> We are all consenting adults. If people want to shoot themselves in
> their feet, we let them. For example, we have os.open, even though
> there is no garbage collection for file handles, and we have
> os._exit, even though it doesn't call finalizers.

There's a difference.

os._exit is useful. os.open is useful. aio_* are *not* useful. For anything. If there's anything you think you want to use them for, you're wrong. It either won't work properly or it will worse performing than the simpler alternatives.

It would absolutely be a waste of time (of both the implementor of the wrapper and the poor users who stumble across them in documentation and try to use them) to bother adding wrappers to these functions for python.

James