[Python-Dev] My work on Python3 and non-ascii paths is done

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 21:14:55 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:00:40PM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Oct 20, 2010, at 02:11 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>
> >I plan to fix Python documentation: specify the encoding used to decode all
> >byte string arguments of the C API. I already wrote a draft patch: issue
> >#9738. This lack of documentation was a big problem for me, because I had to
> >follow the function calls to get the encoding.

This will be truly excellent!

> That's exactly what I was looking for!  Thanks.  I think you've learned a huge
> amount of good information that's difficult to find, so writing it up in a
> more permanent and easy to find location will really help future Python
> developers!

One further thing I'd be interested in is if you could document any best
practices from this experience.  Things like, "surrogateescape is a good/bad
default in these cases",  When is parallel functions for bytes and str
better than a single polymorphic function?  That way when other modules are
added to the stdlib, things can be more consistent.

-Toshio