[Python-Dev] new buffer in python2.7

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Wed Oct 27 14:00:10 CEST 2010

Ah, well in 2.7 you don't have the luxury of a bytes object.  A str() would be similar in 2.7
Anyway, isn't the "bytes" object immutable? In that case, it is not a useful target for a sock.recv_into() call.
Calling getbuffer on a bytearray or a bytes object should be really cheap, so I still don't accept this as a matter of fact situation.

Btw, going to 3.2 isn't a real option for us any time soon.  A lot of companies probably find themselves in a similar situation.  This is why I spend so much effort applying some love to 2.7.  Most of the stuff I locally do to 2.7 I then contribute to python as 3.2 patches.  Someday they'll get backported, no doubt :)