[Python-Dev] Continuing 2.x

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Oct 28 18:42:49 CEST 2010

On Oct 28, 2010, at 04:07 PM, lutz at rmi.net wrote:

>I hope 3.X use expands; in fact, I've bet the future of at
>least one book on it.  And even 1/4 of new users seems a
>large enough subset to care about too.  But one can't help
>but wonder if most of the development community is focused
>on some imaginary future user base, at the expense of the
>much larger current user base.  Then again, there's still
>plenty of Fortran77 code out there, so...

Python 2 will live on for a long time.  Other than promising to bug-fix
maintain Python 2.7 for much longer than usual, which we've already done, what
specifically should we do?  A no-new-feature Python 2.8 doesn't make sense,
and I'm not convinced that a new-feature Python 2.8 really helps folks who are
stuck on Python 2 for whatever reason.

-Barry