[Python-Dev] Continuing 2.x

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Oct 29 16:23:41 CEST 2010

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 02:55:55 -0400, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> I'm perfectly willing to admit that I'm still too pessimistic about this
> and I could be wrong.  But given the relatively minimal amount of effort
> required to let 2.x bugs continue to get fixed under the aegis of
> Python.org rather than going through the painful negotiation process of
> figuring out where else to host it (and thereby potentially losing a
> bunch of maintenance that would not otherwise happen), it seems
> foolhardy to insist that those of us who think 2.x is going to
> necessitate another release must necessarily be wrong.

Your argument was interesting, but you conclude by talking only about
bugs.  We are continuing to bugfix 2.x in the form of 2.7 bugfix releases.
If at the end of the five years the 2.x user community is large enough that
additional *bugfix* releases of 2.7 are worth the effort, we will, I'm
sure, continue to produce them.

What *new features* are needed in 2.x?  I think the effort required
to set up and maintain a fork is a good measure of whether or not such
features are *valuable enough* to be worth doing.  If they are, someone
will do it.  If not....not.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com