[Python-Dev] Change to logging Formatters: support for alternative format styles

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Fri Oct 29 20:03:34 CEST 2010

On 10/26/10 7:08 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Vinay Sajip<vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:
>> Comments welcome. Assuming there are no strong objections asking for reversion
>> of this change, I'll publicise to the wider community in a few days.
>
> It strikes me as a solid, pragmatic solution to a thorny problem.

I keep meaning to review this but haven't had time. One thing I want to
look at specifically is the ability to put the time formatting into the
str.format version of the format string. Now that the time format
specifier can be included in the format string, it's no longer necessary
to have the asctime inspection hack that's currently used in order to
avoid formatting the time. It would be good if we could remove the
formatTime logic for str.format, although I'm not sure how practical it
is. I suspect it's too baked-in to the design, but I'm hopeful.

I'm +1 on the overall concept of allow the other string formatters.

--
Eric.