[Python-Dev] Continuing 2.x

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Oct 29 21:38:13 CEST 2010

On 10/29/2010 9:42 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> I don't see why we should not welcome a team of new developers who want
> to continue working on the 2.x series.

Given the number of issues on the tracker, I think it would be great if
there were some new 2.7-focused developers that would work on fixing
2.7-specific bugs and helping with fixes (including by backporting) to
2.7/3.x bugs.

> It's obvious that a large proportion of the existing python-dev'ers will
> not participate in such a project, but why should we try to stop someone
> else to work on it ?

Where is such a team? It is a moot point until they show up.

As to a possible successor to 2.7: this seems hardly worth discussing
until 1) 2.7 has been out for at year and maybe more; 2) there actually
are such new developers working on 2.7 maintenance; and 3) there
actually is a proposal to respond to. If new features were limited to
backports of features in 3.x, especially in the library, then I
*personally* could see something being released as 'python 2.8'.

I will be surprised it these preconditions come about. I suspect that
most 2.7 users and most *nix distributions would be happy to have a
stable increasingly de-bugged 2.7 be Python 2 for several years.

--
Terry Jan Reedy