[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r85902 - in python/branches/py3k/Lib: os.py test/test_os.py

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 15:01:47 CET 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:38 AM, victor.stinner
<python-checkins at python.org> wrote:
>     try:
> -        path_list = env.get('PATH')
> +        # ignore BytesWarning warning
> +        with warnings.catch_warnings(record=True):
> +            path_list = env.get('PATH')

This looks odd to me. You're requesting that the warnings be saved,
but not actually retrieving the list object where they're recorded
from the __enter__ method.

The correct way to suppress a specific warning type is:

        with warnings.catch_warnings():
            warnings.simplefilter("ignore", BytesWarning)
            path_list = env.get('PATH')

I'll also echo Benjamin's concern with the embedded import. Of such
things, deadlocks are created. If there's a dependency problem between
os and the warnings build process in a fresh build, then it is better
to simply fix that rather than risking the deadlock.

Cheers,
Nick.