[Python-Dev] versioned .so files for Python 3.2

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Sep 7 22:18:16 CEST 2010

Amaury Forgeot d'Arc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2010/9/7 M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com>:
>>> Ok. I'm fine with excluding Py_UNICODE from the stable ABI. However,
>>> I think in the long run, I guess more support for wchar_t will then
>>> be needed in the API, e.g. more convenient argument parsing.
>>
>> Sure, we could add that.
>
> Just to be clear: does this mean that PyUnicode_FromUnicode() and
> PyUnicode_AsUnicode() won't belong to the stable ABI?

As I understood Martin's comment Py_UNICODE would not be part
of the ABI in the sense that you can access the Py_UNICODE
data from within the extension module.

It should still be fine, passing around opaque Py_UNICODE
buffers.

> PyUnicode_AsWideChar() is not as fast, because it needs to copy the data.

True.

Also see this patch which tries to address the issue:

    http://bugs.python.org/issue8654

With the terminology used there, the stable ABI would implicitly
have Py_UNICODE_AGNOSTIC set - and then prevent exposing the
structure of Py_UNICODE* buffers while still allowing to pass
them around.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 07 2010)
2010-08-19: Released mxODBC 3.1.0              http://python.egenix.com/
2010-09-15: DZUG Tagung, Dresden, Germany                   7 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/