[Python-Dev] PEP 3149 thoughts

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Sep 8 01:50:38 CEST 2010

On Sep 05, 2010, at 11:39 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>Notice, however, that the PEP also talks about creating different names
>for different compilation options of the same Python binary. This
>applies to Windows as well (as the PEP actually points out: there is
>_d.pyd and .pyd).
>
>In any case, if the PEP is specific to Unix (or even to Linux?), it
>should say so (either as a positive list, or a negative one; if
>negative, it should also say whether it applies to OSX).

Section added:

Windows
=======

This PEP only addresses build issues on POSIX systems that use the
``configure`` script.  While Windows or other platform support is not
explicitly disallowed under this PEP, platform expertise is needed in
order to evaluate, describe, and implement support on such platforms.
It is not currently clear that the facilities in this PEP are even
useful for Windows.

>> That section is talking about files installed by distributions,
>> which need to take special steps to get everything
>> into /usr/{lib,share}/pyshared; a standard out-of-the-tarball
>> install will not change the way it is installed.
>>
>> It may well be that Barry had his Ubuntu hat on a bit too firmly
>> when writing that PEP :)
>
>I think then that the PEP should better separate what is actually being
>specified (and apparently, that's just the name of the shared objects),
>from possible use case scenarios.

I'm not really sure what to do about this.

-Barry