[Python-Dev] PEP 384 status

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 10:34:43 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 8:34 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would turn the question around: what are the cases where you manage
>> to mix CRT and not getting any issues ? This has never worked in my
>> own experience in the context of python extensions,
>
> I've done it quite a bit over the years with SWIG-wrapped libraries
> where all I did was recompile my extension for new versions of Python.
> It works fine, so long as you avoid the very APIs that PEP 384 is
> blocking from the stable ABI.

What do you mean by recompiling ? Using Mingw ? Normally, if you just
recompile your extensions without using special distutils options, you
use the same compiler as the one used by python, which generally
avoids mixing runtimes.

In other words, the problem mainly arises when you need to integrate
libraries which you can not recompile with the compiler used by
python, because the code is not visual-studio compatible, or because
the library is only available in binary form.

cheers,

David